Monday, June 21, 2010

My Home Writing Space

Okay, so I've finally set up my home writing space. I stole my daughter's old desk (she didn't need it, so is that really stealing?), and made it my own. Upon my desk sits my laptop, a dragon globe given by a student, writing magazines, drafts of my manuscripts, and a tiny fraction of my book collection.

Here are some of the books that grace the surface of my new desk (not in any particular order) - all great books I highly recommend if you love anything to do with books and writing. Some are for enjoyment and inspiration, and others for reference:

The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler

A Gentle Madness by Nicholas Basbanes

Patience & Fortitude by Nicholas Basbanes

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle

The Harper Hall of Pern by Anne McCaffrey

The Riddle by Alison Croggon

Book Finds by Ian Ellis

Word Painting by Rbecca McClanahan

Getting the Words Right by Theodore Rees Cheney

The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures

The Ultimate Visual Dictionary (a must)

The Complete Idiot's Guide to String Theory by George Musser (don't laugh - okay, I'm not a scientist in life, but I have the love of it in my heart. Plus, I'm using string theory in my new book I'm working on!)

There are others - so many others in my basement bookcases. I've brought up a few to help me feel like a real writer - as well as to catch up on some reading. Surround yourself with what you love and one day "what you love" will come knocking at your door.

Anyone care to share a picture of their writing space and books that are upon it?

No comments:

Post a Comment