Monday, May 17, 2010

Interview With Jennifer Cervantes

In my writing critique group, I have been fortunate to work with an amazing middle grade author, Jennifer Cervantes, whose book, Tortilla Sun was released this month. With her poetic language, she paints and captures beautiful images and a magical story. Jennifer’s responses below will uplift and inspire all writers. Jennifer, thank you so much for agreeing to this interview!

You have such a beautiful, poetic way with words. Does this style of writing come naturally to you or is it something you learned?
Thank you! I definitely operate from an instinctive place. Certainly, there is much to be learned about the craft of writing, but sometimes we need to learn when to let go and quiet the outside critic.

Did you have a favorite book as a child?
I LOVED Anna Bennett’s Little Witch.

What do you like to read now?
I read all sorts of middle grade, young adult literature. I just finished (a fellow colleague’s) book, A Most Improper Magick by Stephanie Burgis. Loved it!

What inspired you to write Tortilla Sun?
So many people, places, and experiences served as inspiration. But perhaps the biggest inspiration for getting started was my youngest daughter Jules who asked me to write her a short story about her favorite bear (who still sleeps in her bed). So I started writing this silly story about a selfless bear. As I wrote, I became addicted. More ideas sprouted and I needed a place to put them all. I began to think about the kinds of books I would love for my daughters to read, ones where they were reflected in the pages. Before I knew it, I started writing Tortilla Sun. The first draft went rather quickly, but oh those revisions were often painful.

Your depiction of Mexican culture is vivid. Are there any elements in your story based on your own life?
I think we all carry certain elements over into our writing. Even though Tortilla Sun is fictional, I drew from memories of my grandmother rolling out tortillas, or the way my mother always makes the sign of the cross on my forehead (still! ) Living in the Land of Enchantment helps too.

Your main character keeps an index file of beautiful, poetic phrases. Is this something you do as well?
I do keep a journal of quotes, phrases, ideas I like, but I lose it a lot and have to start all over. If an idea strikes, I will write it down on whatever is available…like a receipt I find in my car!

What is your goal as a writer? Is there something you would like to accomplish?
I want to contribute to the body of children’s literature in a meaningful way. I want my readers to become lost in story, be elevated in some way, and believe in the power of magic in their own lives.

What is your writing process like? Do you work with an outline?
I never make an outline. But I do spend a lot of time thinking about my characters and getting to know them and the setting before I ever commit to the page.

How was it working with a critique group?
I loved my original critique group (wink wink). I grew as a writer because of them and their support was so invaluable to me. Now I have two writing partners and this suits me well because if I need something looked at right away because my agent or editor is waiting for it, I know I can rely on them without burdening a whole group of people.

How long did it take you to complete your manuscript?
The first draft went pretty quickly, but the revisions took some time. I’d say from draft to agent submission ready (or what I thought was ready) was about eight months.

How much did your story change through the editorial process?
It only got deeper and more layered. I was so fortunate to work with Julie Romeis of Chronicle because we had a shared vision for Tortilla Sun.

How long did it take to find an agent?
This part of the process actually went quickly. Signing with my fab agent almost didn’t happen. After I queried her, she requested the full on an exclusive basis. So I sent her an email with the attached ms letting her know I couldn’t give her exclusivity since it was out with another agent. She basically said thanks, but no thanks. In the meantime, she read the manuscript anyway (thankfully) and offered me representation within a few days.

Can you tell us a little about your journey to publication? What was it like when you first learned you'll be a published author?
It was a long journey with ups and downs, like many other writers. The day I found out Tortilla Sun had sold, I was sitting in the guidance counselor’s office of my oldest daughter’s high school. We were waiting to make some changes to her schedule. The email came through on my phone from Laurie and it said, “Congratulations!” But it didn’t give any detail. What I didn’t realize was she had forwarded me Julie’s thumb’s up email, but I was so over the moon, I didn’t bother to scroll down to read the whole thing! So I kept asking my daughter, “You think that means she sold it?” It was hard to focus on my daughter’s schedule after that.

Do you have a special place you like to work?
I usually work from home in a room with a view of the desert. Sometimes I get distracted by the coyote, quail, or roadrunners coming by. They are beautiful to watch! When do you usually do your writing? Whenever I can, but I do have one set day each week that I devote to my writing without interruption.

What other projects are you currently working on?
I just finished a new manuscript titled Before you Leap about a ten year old girl Named Nema Paz. She wonders where everyone gets their talents. They have to be something someone is born with, which means she should have found hers by now. This story is close to my heart for a couple of reasons. First, I think so many kids, and even adults, aren’t quite sure what their “talents” are and we spend too much time comparing ourselves to other people. Second, I wanted to write a story filled with humor and laced with the human elements I try to bring to all of my writing. And of course, I love the characters: Nema, Oscar, and Chit Chat Malone--a cowboy ghost

Can you give any advice to unpublished authors?
Surround yourself with positive people who will lift your spirits when the road gets tough.

Is there anything else you would like to add?
Thanks, Loretta for such a fun interview!

Jennifer, thank you for your inspiring words! I wish you all the best and I hope your book is extremely successful!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing - this is an interesting interview. I'll have to look for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Loretta, I congratulate you on this lovely interview. You have all my support as a follower of your blog. I wish you good luck and look forward to buying your books soon!!
    Enjoy writing so we can enjoy reading!
    Raffi - London, England

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Andrea and Raffi for your kind comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview! I loved Tortilla Sun!!

    ReplyDelete